Friday, January 30, 2009

The Evil That Lurks in YOUR Kitchen

Enter the Sweetheart Apron giveaway from Carolyn's Kitchen HERE.

Did you know that an evil scourge exists in your kitchen.
your kitchen.

But it can easily be destroyed by a modern space age appliance.

Tell me more you say...What is this purveyor of filth and pestilence that lurks in my home?

I can confirm that it looks like this:

Apron Goddesses.......it is your kitchen sponge!

Yes, this sponge bears thousands of pores which are the perfect breeding ground for countless numbers of bacteria, their friends, their extended family and many, many more. This scourge bearing sponge of the kitchen can hold a veritable block party if not properly maintained.

"What to do? What to do?" you lament...

The answer is simple my friends. Use your microwave oven to ZAP the critters every morning. Place your dampened sponge in the microwave and cook it for 1 minute. No more, no less. It's really that easy. The water molecules within the sponge boil and the hot steam that escapes as a vapor fries the bacteria. Or at least that is what I have been told and it totally makes sense. I think the bacterial themselves explode too. Their cells walls likely rupture with the boiling of their cytoplasm.

But I digress with trivial scientific jargon... (I just love saying that).

I usually toss my sponges in the trash every 7 to 10 days anyway, but the bacteria get annihilated through daily radiation. And if you happened to notice the pink earplug resting above the microwave, I use them so I don't have to hear the millions of tiny screams from within the death chamber...ha, ha just kidding.

So go microwave your sponge right now. And don't forget to wear your apron...

15 Goddesses Have Spoken:

Duni said...

I always knew the kitchen sponge was full of bacteria! I used to just throw it out after it got 'icky'. Thanks for the microwave tip! Do you set it at full power?
btw, lovely aprons!

Julia said...

I just punch in 1 minute and I think that must be full power. I don't adjust any of the power settings on my particular microwave, but if yours requires a setting I would say use full power.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

YES! Haha! That's what I do with our sponge each time I use it. Actually I use a brush to do dishes, but for counters and what not I use a sponge. That's so funny, because my husband always gives me a weird look when I do it. *shrug*

Kebi Cedawna said...

Too funny! I've heard of doing that before but never knew how long to leave it in, thanks for the tip!

Sherry and Gena said...

"I had no idea!! Thanks!!

Over The Top Aprons said...

Julia, love the part about - don't forget to wear your apron! I second that!

How about including the 10%off along with the photo like you said; incorporate it. Will that work? Thanks!

Suzi said...

I really need to put my sponge in the microwave.

Aisha said...

LOL! This post made laugh! I enjoyed reading it and glad you shared this. I'm going to do it every morning.

Grand Pooba said...

Apron? Check

Dirty sponge? Check

I'm off to the microwave! Thanks for the advise!

Judy S. said...

Why not use a natural sea sponge instead. Most people don't know this, but 99% of those square kitchen sponges are dipped in a highly concentrated pesticide called triclosan. Triclosan is a toxic, EPA regulated pesticide that kills bacteria. It is readily absorbed into your body through your skin. Everything you wipe down and clean with these artificial sponges is infected by this chemical. Imagine washing dishes and then eating off dinner plates coated with a pesticide..yuck. Use a sea sponge instead, they contain natural enzymes that inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and bacteria.

Julia said...

That sound like a great idea too. They do grow bacteria too though... I think I would do the microwaving with them as well.

I would think that after washing water through the sponge several times and the use of soap would wash away whatever Triclosan was in the sponge. And rinsing your dishes in clear hot water would remove any traces of the chemical after washing. I'm not a kitchen scientist but common sense would tell me that. I could be wrong though.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that sponges grew naturally until my mom brought me back some from her trip to Florida...they really are nice, though I've been using mine for bathing...maybe I'll get some for my kitchen as well. Thanks for the info Judy!

Anonymous said...


Microwaving sponges does NOT kill the bacteria!!!

There is almost no way that your microwave can get your sponge to boiling point to kill the bacteria. And, if your sponge dries out during the process, it can ignite!!

Easy cheap remedy--toss the sponges!! Use those plastic net bags from onions and potatoes, cut the tags off, and wrap the around your dish cloth. Then after the chore, just toss the plastic in the trash, and the cloth in the laundry.

Julia said...

I have to correct you and educate you on the boiling point of water. When steam escapes from a liquid that means that it has reached it's boiling point. Water does not have a high boiling point and it can be reached easily in the microwave. When I microwave a sponge there is always a discernible vapor coming off the sponge from the change in state of a liquid to a vapor i.e."water" to "steam." So you are incorrect in your assumption here.

However, I like your suggestion for the reuse of your bags with the dish cloth. Thanks for the suggestion.

Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.