HOME »« CONTACT »« WHY TAG? »«WANT TO BE AN APRON GODDESS?»«ADVERTISING & SPONSORING

Thursday, August 26, 2010

I've Been Making Whoopie.....

Lots of whoopee. Whoopee in the morning, whoopee mid day, and whoopee in the evening. Can't get enough whoopee!








.....Whoopee Pies that is!
I love chocolate chip cookies so I thought I would try these first.

Chocolate Chip Whoopee Pies
by: Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell

Ingredients:
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 tbs. vegetable shortening
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 tbs. milk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. mini chocolate chips

*Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
*Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper (I skipped this step)
*In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, shortening, and both sugars and beat until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and the buttermilk and beat until combined.
*In a measuring cup, combine the milk, baking soda, and vinegar. Add the milk mixture to the batter along with the flour mixture and beat on low until just combined. Add the vanilla and beat on medium for about 2 minutes, until completely combined.
*Using wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips until incorporated.
*Using a spoon, drop about 1 tbs. of batter onto one of the prepared baking sheets and repeat, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes each, or until the cakes begin to brown. Remove from oven an dlet the cakes cool on the sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.

Makes about 48 2-inch cakes.

Classic Marshmallow Filling:

1 1/2 c. Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/4 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1 tbs. vanilla extract

*In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the Marshmallow Fluff and the vegetable shortening, starting on low and increase to medium speed until the mixture is smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, add the confectioners' sugar and the vanilla, beat until incorporated. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes more.

Personally? I wasn't too thrilled with the Marshmallow Fluff center. It was fine the first day when it set, but the next day? Not so great. Next time I am going to give butter cream filling a try.

5 Goddesses Have Spoken:

Unknown said...

I love whoopie pies....

Miss Val's Creations said...

I'm drooling!!!!

Julia said...

Um Suzi. I think you have been leaving your windows open at night again... Some kind of strange noises were heard from your place. Now I know why.

Suzi said...

I'll make sure my windows are shut next time I make whoopee (pies).

theUngourmet said...

These whoopie pies are so fun, Suzi! My son has been asking me to make some. I've got to get to it!